What are they for?
As the global network develops, traditional domains (.com, .org, .gov, .net, etc.) become ineffective. By analogy with cryptocurrencies, blockchain domains belong directly to the owner, and not to a third party or central authority. In simple words, the Blockchain domain is a set of complex smart contracts and is a domain name system designed for use with any cryptocurrency wallet.
You can bind all your public keys to one wallet. It doesn’t matter if it is Ethereum, Bitcoin, or Tether. In this case, any sender of funds will only need to enter the short address you recently bought.
For example, the sender needs only to put a short address as Guarda.crypto into his wallet and send the payment. The same things may be performed even with websites. Blockchain domains allow you to perform several operations that are not subject to traditional:
- Payments — Domains can be used as a payment gateway for cryptocurrency payments. They are cheap, almost instant, and can be made from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world.
- Uncensored sites — Other companies and governments cannot control the content displayed on your website.
- Simplified public address — This domain can replace the address of a digital wallet for storing currency with a simpler one. Cryptocurrency wallet addresses are so long and complicated for security reasons; however, in many cases, this can lead to problems for users. An error while entering an address or skipping a character when copying and pasting can be a fatal error. But using the blockchain domain, the process becomes much more straightforward.
Why is it better to use Blockchain domains?
In addition to being used as a payment gateway, blockchain domains have many advantages over their traditional counterparts:
- A website hosted on a blockchain domain is only in the sphere of influence of its owner. No third party can intercept it. Therefore, the possibility of censorship by the authorities disappears by itself. Unstoppable Domains operates in its domains with a blockchain, which allows you to control your domain without the intervention of third parties
- Domain registration is lifelong and does not need to be renewed. Moreover, domain ownership can be transferred without the need for intermediaries.
- Also, registration is not regulated and does not require the approval of the Internet Corporation to assign names and numbers, also known as ICANN.
- According to a press release of Unstoppable Domains, which was published on October 11, registration of the domain allows users to connect any cryptocurrency address to their domain. So it will enable payments to be made using only the domain name.
- The inclusion of content that cannot be removed by third parties. According to CEO of Unstoppable Domains, Matthew Gold, «the Internet is not free from censorship in most regions of the world», some places are only slightly more open than others. To solve this, in addition to blocking and delivering «unique keys» to domain owners, the company also uses IPFS, a network that decentralizes content storage.
How to get a blockchain domain?
At first, it may seem that this is a rather tricky process. However, everything is effortless. You need to register to choose a domain name, pay it with fiat, or crypto, and voila: your multi-letter code turns into a delight for the eyes. So here is a detailed guide:
- First, you need to go to the Unstoppable Domains website.
- Next, a simple registration process follows.
- We are waiting for a confirmation letter that will come to your email.
- After confirmation, open the Unstoppable Domains main page again and click on the search box for free domain names.
- Enter the name of the domain name there and wait until the system checks its availability. If your name is free, then you add it to the cart and pay for it whichever way you like.
- We are waiting for confirmation of the payment, which should come by email. After you find the receipt in your email, you can again go to the Unstoppable Domains, the main page, and open the side menu. It is located in the upper left corner.
- From the drop-down menu column, select: «My Domains».
- In this list, you can always find the domains you purchased. However, the purchased domain still needs to be activated. To do this, you need to confirm it. It is done very simply by pressing a button: «Claim All». In our case it’s Claim .zil
- Attention: the wallet file and the password to it is essential information that you need to save and keep in a safe place. Do not neglect this item.
- Click Create Wallet. As soon as you confirm the password, a wallet will get created. You will need to download the Keystore and save these files in a safe place.
- After that, click Import wallet, upload Keystore file, enter your passphrase and click Access.
- The following is an agreement that implies the irreversibility of your actions. After reading the agreement, check the box and press the confirmation button.
- The application process has begun. Be patient; this process may take some time, depending on the workload of Zilliqa.
- After it is claimed – click Manage.
- Paste the Keystore file, enter the passphrase, and click «Access». It is made so that you no longer have to sign transactions every time again.
- Confirm your consent to the operation and wait.
- Next, select your cryptocurrency address (note: double-check it well), and then save the changes.
Done: This is it. Find your domain and make sure that the specified cryptocurrency address matches the one you specified.